THE ECOLOGICAL APPROACH
The Natural Environment:
Since we are very environmentally sensitive, and as part of an environmentally responsible approach, we decided to settle down in a protected site in Portugal – the Southwest Alentenjo Natural Park and the Vicentina Coast.
We wanted to live in an environment that was not exposed to environmental pollution, such as we typically are :
- Industrial pollution,
- Agricultural pollution,
- Light pollution,
- Noise pollution,
- Electromagnetic pollution,
- Odor pollution,
- and more…
We wanted to make the most of the benefits
associated with the omnipresence of the wild,
untouched nature of this place.
Changes to the villa:
Romantik Villa was built around 1985, and we decided to make our own contribution, "within reason", to make it as environmentally friendly as possible.
When we bought the property in the summer of 2016, we started various works on it, because we wanted to act quickly in terms of :
- Water preservation,
- Lowering its energy consumption,
- Limiting WiFi radio signals,
- Environmental conservation.
WHAT WE HAVE DONE
Water Preservation :
- In the garden, we have installed an efficient, programmed irrigation
- The trees and plants are of local or tropical origin, which can stand the
heat with a reasonable supply of water. Only one part of the garden is
turfed with "kikuyu grass" (the tropical area), with the rest being paved.
- In the accommodation, we have equipped the showers and faucets with
7–9l/min flow reducers.
- The pool has been equipped with a cover that limits the evaporation and
loss of water.
- Linen is only changed upon express request of the guests, in order to
limit unnecessary washing.
- Recommendation and information sheets regarding water conservation
Lowering Energy Consumption :
- 8 Solar panels in order to produce hot water and heat the pool.
- 10 Solar panels for electricity production.
- LED TV.
- All lighting and the TV are LED-based.
- Appliances such as fridges, heaters, air conditioners, and so on are A, A+, or A++ rated.
- Laundry is dried in the open air.
Limiting WiFi Radio Signals :
In order to limit the impact of radio waves on the body, we use a special plug to individually disable WiFi waves in every suite.
Environmental Conservation :
The treatment of the swimming pool is with salt, without chlorine.
Wherever possible, we use local organic and/or environmentally responsible products to limit our impact on the environment.
Food produce for breakfast and snacks.
Cleaning products for housework and laundry cleaning.
The renovations were carried out using environmentally friendly and/or local materials (e.g.: low-VOC paint, Azulejos, Calçada, pottery, and so on).